Soumitra Chatterjee or Soumitra Chattopadhyay was born on 19th January 1935. He is one of the most distinguished iconic Bengali actors from India, best known for his frequent associations with the great Bengali film director Satyajit Ray and many more. He is a very light hearted sincere and celebrated human being who has been ruling the industry from the beginning of his career.
Soumitra Chatterjee graduated from the Scottish Church College, Kolkata with honors in Bengali Literature. He has lived for a number of years in Calcutta in Satyajit Ray’s old apartment. He studied his M.A. in Bengali from the University of Calcutta.
- He worked in All India Radio before starting a career in films.
- Being the editor of a little magazine Soumitra had approached Satyajit Ray to suggest a name and illustrate the cover page of it.
- Film debut came in 1959 in Satyajit Ray’s The World of Apu
- Worked with Sharmila Tagore in a number of Ray films
- He featured as Feluda/Pradosh Chandra Mitter in the Feluda series.
- Acted in Ghare Baire, an adaptation of Rabindranath Tagore’s novel
- Mrinal Sen’s Akash Kusum
- Teen Bhubaner Pare with Tanuja
- Since November 2010, he has been regularly performing in the title role of the play Raja Lear directed by Suman Mukhopadhyay, a play based on King Lear by William Shakespeare.
1960 Khudito Pashan
1961 Teen Kanya
1961 Jhinder Bondi
1963 Saat Paake Badha
1963 Sesh Prahar
- Soumitra Chatterjee has received the ‘Officier des Arts et Metiers’, the highest award for arts given by the French government
- Lifetime Achievement Award from Italy
- Honorary Padma Shri award from the Indian government in the 1970
- In 2004, he accepted the prestigious Padma Bhushan award from the President of India.
- He turned down the 2001 Special Jury Award for Best Actor in order to protest against the National Film Awards committee
- On 9th June 2008, he was awarded the 2007 National Film Award for Best Actor by the Government of India
- On 3rd May 2012, he was selected by the Government of India to be honored with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award.
With over 400 films to his credit, Sri. Chaterjee will again be seen in a few new age movies like Rupkatyha Noy and Adbhoot and had taken the audience by surprise by playing a negative role in the Chit Fund scam centric movie Kagojer Nouko.
We will always look forward to seeing more of this power house of talent on the cine screens of Tollywood.